Friday 24 September 2010

Wales Day 3: Devil's Day


Machinelleth to Devils Bridge

When I set out on this stage, there was little indiction that the weather would change so dramatically. It made a tough day even tougher as I was
climbing the highest peak on my tour.

I started winding my way up the picturesque narrow lanes , through farm yards, and then the lower grassy slopes of the mountain. All good so far. Then the trail got steeper over a very slippy rock face that had me hauling my bike centimetre by centimetre higher. No wonder the MTB Magazine graded this route: Killer.

I conquered it eventually to be rewarded with a wild plateau with a small lake, wide rideable tracks, and a view to the sea. Then the clouds rolled in and with them the rain. The tracks became indistinct, very boggy, and i was having to wade raging streams. Luckily my GPS held out and I could navigate my way out of this wilderness to the nearest road. All good fun!

Needless to say, In these conditions I continued by road to the hotel at Devils Bridge ( named for tourist waterfall) and I don't think I've appreciated a hot bath so much. A day to remember.

Ride Stats:
Distance 44 k, 8 hours, Agg climbs 981 metres, max Alt 512
m, max gradient 18%, 1 puncture (repaired under extreme conditions of mud and sheep shit)

1 comment:

  1. Dad, you are unbelievable - I don't know whether to be excited for you or worried if you will make it out of the bog. Keep well!
    Love
    Amy

    ReplyDelete