Thursday 23 September 2010

Wales, So Far

Wales So Far

I haven't been able to post a daily report of my riding in Wales but I have now fixed the problem with my pod, and so here is a summary of my first 2 days on the Coast to Coast:
Day 1. Conwy to Festiniog
Rain had stopped but the off-road sections were still very wet from the huge amount that has fallen in the previous days. I enjoyed pushing up trails that were flowing with water but other parts were quite boggy, so progress was slow. The vistas were quite magnificent under an ever changing sky. Finished by riding on the road over the high pass from Betwys Coed to Ffestiniog to my fully ECO B&B which had a sauna which I used to dry my sodden shoes.
Distance 63k, Duration 9 hours, Climbs 1130 metres, max gradient 25%, max altitude 452 m, 0 punctures.

Day 2. Festiniog to Machinelleth
Great day of riding over the mountains of Snowdonia. The terrain was still wet but rideable, got stuck in a bog only once ! Visited the famous MTB centre at Coed Brenin and had a little fun on the trails. I finished the day in darkness as the route was longer than i had expected. All the locals are sympathetic to riders !
Distance 110 k, Duration 10 hours, Agg climbs 1453m, Max Gradient 19%, max altitude 371m, 0 punctures, 2 very tired legs.

Bike and body are standing up well, but wait for next post to see how I fare with the weather to take a turn for the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment